Saturday, April 28, 2012

the George Brief

The other day I was sitting with George (one of the attorneys) and we were discussing how he prepared court briefs. I asked him a few questions, because George is ALWAYS on edge when he has a briefing due, so I asked him if there was any way that I could help him out. He told me that he wishes I could but at this point briefs are way above my legal ability, plus he said that it would bore the hell out of me. He explained how he has to articulate every aspect of his clients case, and why they are correct. The task is quite difficult, and time consuming especially because of the formality of the documents. He was telling me that if he made one mistake then the case could be jeopardized, so he has to be as close to perfect as possible. He showed me a few briefs that he had completed already, and they were bigger than most textbooks that I have seen. Honestly I felt pretty bad for him, and jokingly told him that he needs to get a paralegal because these briefs were going to be the death of him. He laughed, and told me that it cant all be fun, and that research is key to getting what you want so it is worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment