Saturday, April 28, 2012

N. Korean refugees

Recently I met an exchange student who told me he is Korean. My friend who was standing with me asked if he was from North or South Korea, we all laughed at the question stating that he is obviously from south Korea. It got me thinking, so when I went to work the following Wednesday, I asked one of the attornies if it was possible for someone to come to the US from North Korea in any way. I knew that there was no way for them to immigrate directly from North Korea, as I had taken History 108 with professor Valussi. Stan told me that there are many North Koreans who flee to China in order for them to apply for Asylum to the US. On their plight if they are caught they would automatically be returned to North Korea, where they would be brutally punished, because the Chinese government is and has almost always been an ally of N Korea. Many of the refugees who had left North Korea went to South Korea, or China and live in fear every day of being caught. It is surprising thought, that there are not many in the US. The implementation of the North Korea Human Rights Act in 2004, and its re authorization in 2008, has given a new light to the North Korean plight. Although, there are very few North Korean refugees in America under Asylum, it seems as though more are to come. Most defectors go to South Korea, and many have gone to Europe. The act pushes for more North Korean immigrants to venture to the US. Unfortunately, even the few who do live in the US now have quite a hard time assimilating because of their previous backgrounds, and lack of education. It is a sad story, but I am very happy knowing that the US is stepping up and trying to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment